Saturday, December 5, 2009
A Christmastime Survey
With in the past couple days and with the Mister going north to wrap up the final stuff at the old homestead, I have had some pretty dramatic happenings. I am trying not to only blog about my whines and complaints (maybe that is why my following is so small, lol) so I am trying to save those for another post (you know, everything turns out for the best and you can look back and laugh about it?). So today I am "re-gifting" this Christmastime survey from a blog I follow. Thanks Jo-lynne. Feel free to re-gift from me as well. :)
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hands down, chocolate. It will always win. I like mine hot enough to metal the marshmallow's but cool enough to actually drink while leaving some cilia on the surface of my throat's cells.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? We have never taught our girls about Santa. A a personal choice we feel we need to teach the 'reason for the season' as Jesus's birth and there is no white man in a red suit who magically makes things appear. They know not to destroy other kid's thoughts on the subject so all you other parents reading this can rest easy. We also figured childhood was traumatic enough to not add to theirs with the my-parents-lied-to-me-about-Santa-and -here-is-how-I-found-out drama. As far as gift wrapping goes, due to the science teacher in me I choose not to wrap as it is really wasteful. Due to the laziness in my I choose not to wrap as it is too time consuming. And most importantly due to the cheapskate in me I choose not to wrap because it cost too much money to buy paper for the purpose of tearing and then throwing away. Each girls has a huge red velvet bag with their name embroidered on it and all their gifts are housed in there.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? When I am feeling uppity I would say white. When I am feeling redneck-ish I would say multicolored. Right now the only tree we have up in the 4ft pink monstrosity in the girls' room which my Mother bought while here for Thanksgiving (see I told you I have lots of happening to talk about....later....). So for now I say pink.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No. I steal my fair share of kisses without it. :)
5. When do you put your decorations up? As soon as Thanksgiving festivities are over.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Buckeyes or my aunt's red velvet cake.
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Christmas was not really fun for me as a child being the youngest and only girl so it always ended with me being teased unmercifully and usually my favorite toy destroyed by my brothers during the teasing. In the last 6 years we started a tradition of taking a timed family picture. That has been fun and probably the highlight of the evening. Last year there were 13 people and 2 dogs. I am sure you can imagine - organized chaos.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? We always opened gift Christmas eve after church so I never bought into the whole Santa thing. It was not forced on me and another reason why I do not do it to my girls.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? See above question. We open ALL gifts then.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? This year (the only year we have had a Christmas tree, my grapevine tree substituted in years past) the pink monster has pink lights and princess lights with a silver star. Not really room for anything else. It is a tiny tree. Not to mention I have to be selective with the toddler tornado running around here.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it as long as I am home and no where to go. Hate it when I would have to drive to work as our school would be the only one NOT to close. Now....don't have to worry about snow. :P
12. Can you ice skate? Yes. Ever earend credit in classes for a series of 3 ice skating classes. I also took belly dancing in college.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Not really.
14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Spending time with family and friends and reflecting on the birth of our Savior. (Staling Jo-Lynne's answer here b/c I could have posted it myself.)
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? See #6.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Church and opening gifts Christmas eve.
17. What tops your tree? Sparkly silver star.
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Yes. Both please.
19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum? Ok. Filed under whatever.
20 Favorite Christmas Show? A Christmas Story. I remember seeing it in the theater (yes, I am that old) and my Mom laughing her butt off when the dogs took the turkey.
21. Saddest Christmas Song? ??????? Grandma got run over by a reindeer. ????
22. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Gosh, I can't pick one favorite....Carol of the Bells tops my list as well as O, Holy Night and Little Town of Bethlehem. I love the Nutcracker music as well.
Let me know if you take this survey....I am probably already stalking your blog anyway.....so I would know...like Santa. lol